Singapore GE 2011

Before I say anything else, yes, I am not a very political person. Yes, I am only 16 years old and not in the position to say my thoughts about the elections or whatever. LET ME SAY WHAT I WANT LA HAIYER.

So the country has voted, and PAP is once again in power with two-thirds majority in parliament at 81 of 87 seats.

Which means they can pass any bill or law in parliament as and when they like, once again.

The Worker's Party is the only opposition party in parliament with 6 seats, the highest in Singapore ever.


Honestly speaking, given the amount of hype that was given towards opposition parties, the results were actually rather underwhelming to me.

I am not a hardcore supporter of either parties but I do want more people in the opposition parties in parliament, that's all.

I am glad though that the opposition is slowly catching up. Right now it's all just a matter of time, and that's assuming 2012 doesn't happen!


What I feel like voicing out is how people, after reading Xiaxue's views on the elections, just blindly follow her and become super hardcore-PAP.

Not that there is anything wrong with XX's decision, but can't people at least have views about this themselves?

If they are that keen in politics then they should have at least done their own research.

But it's okay, because the people have voted and even though the political tsunami has yet to happen, at least we can look forward to THIS tsunami!
"Please remember: We still need 900,000 foreign workers on work permits (excluding those on S and E passes)" - MM Lee Kuan Yew, 24 April 2011 (CNA)

When shit gets overcrowded, when these people flirt with girls in the MRT (Trust me I've seen these before), don't complain like nobody's business lor, that's all.


BUT I won't completely blame it on the government, because I partially understand that manpower is essential for Singapore's continual growth. That, I understand.

However, on the other hand, what I don't understand is... is there no alternate solution? Not that I can think of any, but just putting it out there since it's not my job anyway LOLOLOL


Another thing some people really need to know is that ALL Singapore newspapers, under SPH, is controlled by the government aka PAP.

Obviously, everything you're going to read relating to politics is biased. If you know about the Cooling-Off Day fiasco involving TPL, it wasn't published in the news though you can say it did stir up some drama.

Singapore is ranked one of the lowest in the world for press freedom.

Which is why I really do hope that in time to come, there will be a revival of press freedom and freelance writing in Singapore. Without this, together with the influx of more foreign talents to come, I don't even know what my future prospects in Singapore are anymore.


And to those who are going to be so pro-PAP after reading all sorts of propaganda because it makes you appear so ~intellectual~ then maybe you would like to do some research. Maybe you can start with Operation Coldstore!


But really in all honest opinion PAP has the most capable leaders that have potential to truly lead the nation. Which is why I doubt any opposition party will ever become the ruling party.

A lot of people are also pissy over George Yeo's loss. Yes, I am upset too because I know he is genuinely a kind and caring man.

But it's not the end of the world!! He can still contest in 5 years, and he can even run for presidency. I know the president's job is different, but like I've said it's not the end of the world.

It's disappointing to see people calling the voters of Aljunied "retarded" and tell them to REPENT (lol) because having an opposition GRC would lead to no upgrading. Yes, I give you that, but you have to understand:

Low Thia Kiang.
Sylvia Lim.
Chen Show Mao.


They're like the top-notch politicians of WP in one team! Shit doesn't even get better than that! People are obviously going to have a hard time choosing who to vote!

Furthermore stop hating on Low Thia Kiang. Apart from the fact that he's not a good speaker, just so you know in 2006, MM Lee challenged LTK to step out of his Hougang SMC and contest in a GRC.

Clearly, he accepted the challenge and won. If anything, it's not his fault if you ask me.


But I will not discredit the PAP.

They have brought Singapore to where it is today and I am eternally grateful for that.

But after so long, I feel like things have changed.


Think about this:


If you are the ruling party and you truly care for every single resident, will you neglect GRCs that are under your opponent's parties? Does it really matter that much to you if most of the residents in that area decided not to choose you, thus resulting in you ignoring them?

I feel that at the end of the day, it's not about competition, it's about the welfare of all Singaporeans.


When Chiam See Tong was the MP of Potong Pasir SMC, he tried to appeal in parliament to grant Potong Pasir a HDB upgrade. HDB blocks in that area had lifts that needed upgrading, concrete that needed maintenance, ceilings that are leaking and other problems making everything unpleasant and unsightly.

Flat-out ignored, just like that. Now, Potong Pasir SMC has chosen Sitoh Yi-Pin as their MP but I'm not upset since they'll finally get their upgrades!

Low Thia Kiang in parliament asked Grace Fu back then when will Hougang SMC, then under him, finally give residents the HDB upgrade as well.

Her reply? All you need to know is that she just went around the bush over the matter, never giving a final conclusive reply.

And end up what happen? The people who denied them that opportunity called them a slum, making it as though it's LTK's fault. Which makes Hougang a very admirable SMC for being resilient and not give in to the alleged "PAP dangling carrot" as others have asserted.

Just a little thought by the way: The redrawing of electoral districts remind me a lot of the conflict in Northern Ireland caused by electoral districts being often redrawn in favour of the Protestants, lol! Just that nobody cares here.


Bottom line: I'm more or less neutral towards both ends, albeit slightly towards the opposition. All I want in future is that the opposition occupies more than 1/3 of parliament and make freelance writing + press freedom present again in Singapore.

Have a nice day!


On a lighter note, one day I'll probably set up my own political party. The DDPP - Dance Dance Party Party! How about that? I make sure my party contests all 87 seats in Parliament!!! Hahahaha (Once again, assuming 2012 doesn't happen)


p/s. Just to piss Worker's Party haters off: Vote for Worker's Party! Towards a First World Parliament! Pursuant to Section 49, Sub-Section 7E, Paragraph A of the Parliamentary Elections Act, I hereby declare that it's Hammer Time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment