112



I had the honour of starring in Stage 52's latest production 112 last Friday and Saturday and boy, was it a fucking long yet rewarding journey. Something I thought would've been a flop ended up selling out both dates with roaring demand with even students / graduates NUS and La Salle giving raving reviews of the play. This is honestly one of the things I've never been more proud of in my life.

Just like Adele's 21 album, I have yet to see / hear a single negative review about 112. Both of them also happen to comprise only the numbers 1 and 2 WOAHWAHWOHA.

For those who didn't catch the play, it's essentially a story about 1 woman, 1 wife and 2 assassins. Something like that la.
It centers around this woman Emma who meets Nathan at a bar, called "The Black Cat", which is run for a very long time by Steve, and recently only hired Adam (played by me), who can never get shit done right, always unknowingly stirs trouble and is an attention whore.

Emma gets into a relationship with Nathan, not knowing that he's married. Nathan and Paul are best friends and work for Camille as assassins who kill men that cheat on their wives.

Nearing the end, the audience would find out that this entire scenario is actually all within the real Emma's head. She's a fucking crazy woman, and the characters in her head are people whom she had interaction with in real life. Like me, the bartender in her head, was the police officer that arrested her. Lucas acted as Emma's REAL husband, and would appear in every scene of the play because her husband is that one person Emma can never get off her mind.

Aiya, there's a lot of interlinking, underlying meanings behind the play that I cannot possibly type everything out of without killing your eyes but that's essentially the gist of the story. It may come across as a shallow story but if you think deeper there's really a lot more meaning to it.
I remember being hesitant at the beginning on whether or not I should've auditioned for a role, but somehow, Charmaine managed to persuade me to do so. Even then, I auditioned just for a supporting role. I thought I would've been lucky enough to have gotten a role as a tree or as a cocktail shaker or something. But surprise surprise! I was cast as the bartender!

And initially I can't say I wasn't pissed because the very very very first draft of the script only had me saying 2 lines: "CLEAR THE BAR!" and "LET'S GO!", so I was like meh ~*insignificant*~ LOL

Nonetheless as the weeks went by I had more and more lines added because my role as the bartender was essentially for comic relief and Nicole didn't want to force comedy, hence the reason why lines were added on an impromptu basis, so me, Nicole (the director), Eeter all contributed to my lines for the play which I have to say is pretty amazing.

And when I started going to rehearsals in the classrooms together with the cast I felt fucking insecure because everybody could act so well - and I had barely any drama experience!

I found it really difficult getting into my character at first because my character's supposed to be extremely loud, flamboyant and all over the place which I initially only managed to deliver, say, 60% of? So I felt quite bad about it but I did get better throughout the weeks.


Promotional image siolz

I admittedly wasn't as committed as I should have been for the play because I was always late, I was always skipping rehearsals and all that throughout the entire 3.5 months. God knows how many times Sophia would say to me "Very early hor?" and have Fenny ask me "What time is it?" Hahahaha. I'm not gonna lie - part of the reason why I never wanted to go for rehearsals was because I thought the play would flop... but I'm so glad that I was proven wrong ultimately.





Beatrice being damn excited for the premiere of Lady Gaga's Applause music video LOL



When we watched back the recording of one of our rehearsals Beatrice was even scared of herself HAHAHA and she looks like she's freaking levitating like some exorcism shit going on



Production week was when shit really got down, also because it was when my exams were finally over so I could concentrate 100% on the play. Everything started to come together, and when I saw the finalised set for the first time, I was bloody impressed. Like BLOODY. I would've menstruated all over my pants if I could.

The art department really did a banging good job and everything started coming together perfectly. Rehearsals actually started becoming a breeze to go to because it was all very smooth-sailing.



Furthermore, I was down with a fever and mild food poisoning the first few days of the week, which prevented me from going down for Music Box rehearsals. I literally only managed to successfully project my voice loudly enough on stage just days before the actual production, because I never had prior practice to know how loud I should be. Thank god!

There was also a dance segment of the play where we have our own rendition of Chicago's Cell Block Tango. It doesn't matter that it was a direct copy because they definitely did it justice. I kid you not. The dance was definitely one of the highlights of the play because everybody did the routine so flawlessly without leaving out the most important and captivating parts.

Fuck man, they practiced for so long EVERYBODY on set could recite the whole thing. I subliminally learnt everything because I was always sleeping near the stage when they practiced HAHAHA. Oh, and the dancers even took the effort to record their own voices to be played during their segment and they sound freaking amazing and professional man.



Daniel, Charmaine and Ian stayed over at my place the night after the first show because we tried sleeping in school the night before and proved to be a horrible nightmare.

It was some shady classroom at the BA block and we were watching The Little Mermaid (don't ask why) on the projector. Out of nowhere the movie started to become BLUR (like cuz got fog) which scared the living shit out of everybody (it was like 1AM or something) so instead of investigating the matter all 6 of us in the room started HUGGING EACH OTHER AND WHIMPERING CUZ WE WERE SO DAMN SCARED!!!

Then we found out that the air con was blowing directly on the projector lens resulting in condensation. Fuck our lives.





Check out my bruises because I had to suddenly kneel down in one scene



What's a girl like you doing in a place like this



The changing room at Music Box which I never knew existed



With Naavin, Ysabel (she gets into character like 2 hours before the show she's mad) and Shaistaaa





With Constance (top), Jovita (left) and Andrea (right)!



I have no idea wtf Tricia and I were doing HAHAHAHA



And Nicolene got us drinks for our throats before the second show because our throats were feeling a little sore from the first!!! Thoughtful or what siaaaaaxzsxzxsz

Anyway I say so much also gong jiao wei. Here are some pictures of the play taken by this guy called Ahmad whom I stole the photos from on Facebook. If you're reading this I'm sorry for stealing but your photos are really fucking amazing HAHAHA:













Damn right





Beatrice the crazy bitch


I'm so happy that a lot of people actually came to support us and came to watch the show. Honestly I never thought that knowing that your friends are there to support and watch you could give such a huge boost to your energy and performance during the actual play.

Speaking of which, I was SO happy after the first show because people were actually laughing at all of my jokes at all of the right times - it honestly felt damn good and was a massive energy booster man!

Especially after weeks of rehearsing in front of an empty audience ( = no laughter), you really never know whether or not the joke would actually work with the audience!

But I held back on inviting a lot of people because like I said earlier, I'm gonna admit that I really thought it was a play that was doomed from the start which was why I didn't want to get my friends to pay and have them bitching to be about wasting their time and stuff so I'm sorry to some of you guys :(



Jiarong came down even though my flop instincts made me try to persuade him not to HAHAH



Awesum frenzzzz



My Radio Heatwave niggas (Kim Anne Tan on the right got into the Top 8 of the 987 Radio Star competition w00h00)



Joey also baked amazeballs cookies to be sold at the venue



With Rajid who I kept irritating by saying "OMG ACTOR FROM CLICK AND RECESSION HEROES CAME TO WATCH ME!!!" HAHAHAHAHAHA



With Preeti Preetz!

...and many other photos which have yet to be uploaded for me to repost because I didn't have my phone on hand to take my own LOL


I really cannot explain how this whole play has really become such an incredible journey for me. I wasn't fully involved in it for long but it just feels so good to be around all these people who are working together so closely and just having fun because we're all working towards the same shit.

Furthermore, drama was always a hidden passion that I never bothered to actively pursue for so many damn years man. The year I enrolled into JWSS was also the year their drama club disbanded.

4 years of being in Red Cross and an expired First Aid certificate later, in retrospect, I honestly thought I could've spent more time doing stuff that I liked instead of trying to nurture a liking towards certain things.

The thing about working on a theatre production is that the rewards and satisfaction comes after a really long wait, and even though I would call myself an impatient person I really liked the experience of going through 112 despite all of its disorganisations and what not. Now I'm even more sure that I might wanna pursue theatre in the future, or even as a degree to be honest. And I certainly hope 112 will not be my last production to be involved in.

I'm so grateful that I was given this chance to star in this, and while I didn't manage to take a picture with him, I really want to specially thank my fellow bartender Eeter for giving so much guidance.

He's younger than me yet he's given me so much guidance and he really knows his shit damn well, which is why he's probably the junior I look up to the most. It's sad knowing that I probably won't see him next semester around campus cuz he's transferring to another school, but I never thought I would be able to work this well with him and I'm really glad to have had him star beside me.

If any of the cast / crew are reading this I'm so so so so thankful to have you guys around and I really can't wait to work with y'all again for Scarefest!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment